Given the delicate nature of the Australian/US political relationship, perhaps this iPad can be seen as a bit of an olive branch, as well as a contest prize? I will have to examine the tax deductibility of olive branches…congrats, Ben, enjoy the iPad!
One quick thing as I continue to enjoy my hiatus: if there is anything worse than rigorously following your NFL team’s offseason, getting overly optimistic/fired up, heading to a local bar to watch the first game, and then seeing them get the sh*t kicked out of them by the (terrible) Seahawks, I don’t know what it is. Brutal. Really looking forward to next week’s game against New Orleans, should be a debacle.
Labor Day is again in the rearview mirror and I must say it’s refreshing not to have to deal with the September “Let’s Book Some Revenues” flurry of activity for the second straight year. Instead, I got to enjoy the US Open and even sat next to a lady filming Federer through her binoculars – that’s right, putting her camera lens up to her binoculars’ eyepiece. Not quite funny enough for me to take a picture, but close.
Anyhoo, as you might be able to tell, I’m at a bit of a crossroads regarding the future direction of good WPz. The iPad giveaway was not the runaway success I predicted; in fact, only two people put in a serious effort (and one of them, a loyal reader, intended to take some professional risk to spread the word – which we ultimately agreed was not for the best.) So Ben from Australia has an iPad headed his way, delivered tomorrow in fact. Congrats, Ben! Enjoy and let us know when you get it (also to help confirm that I didn’t just make that sh*t up.)
Overall traffic has been up a bit in the last couple months, some credit to the iPad contest and some to Twitter. The site is now ranked like 6,121,027th by Alexa, up from like 12,252,393th a few months ago. (Just to get a taste of the neighborhood I’m in, #6,121,026 is stuffthatlookslikemyballs.com and #6,121,028 is fightcanineallergiesnow.com.) So I’m trying to figure out what direction to take from here.
1. Close up shop (writing this stuff is a bigger time-sink ass-pain than you’d think).
2. Change the nature of the blog a bit. Like, establish a tighter theme or focus and find some other contributors to help carry the load. Or, maybe try out some new career choices (carnie, teriyaki chef, etc.) and make the site a chronicle of those endeavors. Or I might post my funny cat videos.
3. Pron. (I’ve already received overtures from a producer looking to establish Wasted Potentialz as the Barely Legal for overly educated ladies.)
4. Keep on keepin on, just in a much more lazy fashion. Not posting much in the last several weeks hasn’t really had the negative impact on traffic that I would’ve imagined. I’m going on a little vacation next week, so I’ll hopefully have it all figured out by the time that’s over. I’ll keep you posted.
For the five people out there who haven’t seen/heard this, here’s Cee Lo Green – better known as one half of Gnarles Barkley. (I once shared a flight to London with Cee Lo and Danger Mouse, even got to tell them I enjoyed their music. They seemed content to know that they’d pierced the highly coveted middle-aged white guy market.) Language is obviously NSFW.
I have come to realize that many of the folks that read this site have little to no need for free items (likely dreading the additional 1099 or the sensation of being in a charitable environment). If you recall, back in June I suggested that if my Apple $240/$230 put spreads finished fully in the money (which pretty much any ~25% monthly ROI apple put spreads have done for the last 8-10 months – if this makes no sense, don’t worry about it) I would give away an iPad on this site. And then I got busy, did a little marketing, doubled my traffic and kind of forgot about that promise (understandably, as my trading account was getting f*cked up like the gangsters’ shins in Shallow Grave)….then people started reminding me of the comment….and so I launched the contest last week, to what I considered to be considerable (Navy-issue double redundancy) fanfare.
And pretty much nothing happened. Sure, T-Diddy is gonna name his kid Chilly Wodzina. And Sam is more interested in Big Kats than an iPad. The only person who really stepped up with sincere value-add (since I know T-Diddy is a f-cking lying d-ck) is Ben from Australia. Check this out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wasted-Potentialz/145245725492277. Yeah, suckas, straight up Facebook. I guess that means I’ve gotta get on that business.
I’m gonna be honest, we just got our iPad last week, and it is sweet. Watching The Battle for Kruger National, you feel like you are the baby buffalo, with a croc on your ass and five lions on your head and torso. Its form factor makes the dudes who designed the Audi R8 jealous. Plus, you can act like a complete d-ck when you whip it out in the coffee shop. But you gotta step up your games. I’m serious, this is gonna be the easiest sh-t ever for Ben from Australia if nobody steps up. Getting in the game is easy, but you f-ckers are apparently lazy and don’t want a free iPad from someone who is even willing to pay the f-cking postage (even to Oz, Ben).
1. Follow me on Twitter – say “Hey, I’d like a free iPad” and then retweet my iPad contest. Tell your friends to follow me and say “[Person X] sent me this way.” Hell, you can even say “you’re a d-ck” and still at least throw your hat into the ring.
2. Leave a comment here and direct like-minded individuals to do the same – I will tabulate this stuff so you don’t have to.
3. Facebook – I’ve never used it because of my interest in preserving my anonymity, but I will figure it out. Go there and friend some sh-t or something.
4. Stumbleupon – This is for the dorkier folks out there, stumble upon some stuff here (I’ve gotta figure out if I can track that easily, I’m not sure I can – don’t be shy if you do something, you’re trying to win a free extremely small but awesome netsurfing machine)
5. Email me with good ideas for posts (seriously, I’m hurtin)
6. Send me one (or several) of these:
7. Remind me of how the Braves are kicking the sh-t out of the Mets this year
8. Project for me how the 49ers are gonna step out of the shadows and win the Super Bowl this year (as teams coming off 8-8 seasons have done two of the last three years – this may be tough to do with a straight face)
9. Buy me an ice cream sandwich (Skinny Cow has proven a highly delectable yet low cal brand) or some Sour Patch Kids (never had them before last month, could easily eat 18 bags of them at a sitting)
10. Tell any friends with similar sensibilities to do the same (requires selfless friends who want to do something for you, at little to no expense (other than wasted time) to themselves – may be difficult to find such people).
We can’t make this too easy for Ben. Americans (I would say Canadians, too, but seriously, we all know Canadians cannot compete on any surface but ice) step up your game. Let’s make this a war.
(Note: Perhaps I shouldn’t have had four of those little bottles of wine on the way back from Memphis – but they were f-ing tasty. And, I got a buyback on the last one, so it’s really like I had three. Sure, we drank all the vodka in the house and finished the bottle of firefly, but we just spent four days in Arkansas. We were due.)
Something juicy is in the works – who’s the hottest chick on Mad Men? I’m sensing a surprise winner….